Tuesday 23 July 2013

What She Ate// Baker's Choice







Chai Tea Coconut Scones

I was almost dreading the approach of this week's 'What She Ate' theme. The tropical conditions that have overcome this wet little country have knocked us all for six. It's all we can do to peel ourselves away from the sun loungers outside these days and the dogs seem to have attached themselves to the cool porcelain of the mantelpiece in the living room, startled by the immense heat.

Just as the thought of baking anything was starting to become unbearable to me today, it happened... as if by magic, the sky darkened and the storm clouds rolled in. 
For me there is no better excuse  for hot, buttery scones and tea than a wet cozy afternoon stuck indoors.

I adapted this scone recipe from a vegan recipe I found online. My recipe isn't strictly vegan though as I had to tweak here and adjust there to make do with what we had in our kitchen cupboards. 
I also tossed in a few little 'extras' for added yumminess ^.^

Ingredients
(makes 9 scones)
~ 2 cups flour
~ 1 tsp baking powder
~ 1/2 cup butter
~ 1/2 tsp sea salt
~ 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
~ 1 cup chai tea (soak 2 chai teabags in boiling water, I used the Twinings variety)
~1 tbsp flaxseed
~1/4 cup maple syrup
~ 1/4 cup honey
~ 1/3 cup brown sugar
~ 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
~ 1tsp vanilla extract
~ ground walnuts
~ roughly chopped Lindt coconut chocolate
~ toffee yoghurt

method
~ Heat oven to 400 F/ 200 C
~ In a large bowl mix flour, coconut, salt and baking powder.
~ Add butter and mix with fingers until dry ingredients are coated.
~Brew tea in a measuring jug and add flax seed, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, vinegar and vanilla.
~ Pour wet ingredients into large bowl and stir with spoon.
~ Fold in ground walnuts and chocolate, knead lightly and roll into a ball.
~ Place dough ball in fridge for 20 minutes.
~ Remove dough and roll out onto floured surface, using a cutter cut 9 scones and place them on a floured baking sheet.
~ Brush each scone lightly with a little toffee yoghurt to make a sweet glaze on them.
~ Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.



I was tempted to serve these with a glass of chai tea but I reckon it is possible to have too much of a good thing so I opted for a mug of regular tea the size of my own head instead!

These turned out delicious despite the fact they are semi vegan and I am more used to my Mom's scones baked in the good old fashioned Irish-style with eggs and milk as well as butter. These had a very delicate chai tea flavouring but you could definitely make it out (I'd probably use 3-4 teabags next time though) and the maple syrup and brown sugar with the walnuts gave them an almost flapjack-like flavour. 

Please share if you ever give these a try, I'd love to hear how they turned out for you!
Now, how about have a peek at the other 'Baker's Choice' editions this week:

I'll be back with another 'What She Ate' on August 9th with the them 'At the Farmer's Market'~ I can't wait for that one!

x

6 comments:

  1. I read that title as 'Bakers Complete' for some reason, and clicked over thinking 'why is she eating dog food?' haha!

    This looks much tastier than dog food. Much, much tastier x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha!! Oh dear!! I Lol'd pretty hard when I read your comment Charlotte, dog food this week coupled with 'turd-gate' from my last 'What She Ate' post...I'm not having much luck with this series so far hehe!! >.<

      Delete
  2. I love scones and chai tea so I will definitely have to give this a shot. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the words of Joey Tribbiani: "put your hands together."

      >.<

      Delete
  3. Wow! This looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kayli! I'm not much of a baker but I can pretty much nail scones by now ^.^ x

      Delete